Something is wrong, I am loosing terrain

Something is wrong, I am loosing terrain

Postby eelco » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 am

I had almost the whole town of Lelystad, The Netherlands covered. It was alright for a couple of days.

However, since yesterday, my iPhone suddenly showed enemy presence very near, in an area that was undoubtedly mine.

Please have a look at this picture: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7993/lelystad.jpg

I drew the pink line to indicate my former borders. The green slicer in the south is on my land. I can see his presence on the full world map (that seems to load badly) and on the iPhone as well. I owned that for a couple of days. From the picture it is kinda obvious that I owned it: the blue area has no borders at the sides where obvious parts are missing. I used the main roads, but right now my area seems to be cut of among very straight lines.

Maybe you can find out what goes wrong there?

And when you are on it, please be so kind to restore my old borders. That is, if you can still find them in your database. ;)
Slicer #153
eelco

Re: Something is wrong, I am loosing terrain

Postby ES187 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I have had some problems about not getting the slices on the map last Friday, although the iPhone first had shown them fulfilled. Also, some lines drawn as full and some time later they were broke (meaning the slice couldn't fill) Still thinking it was due of the transition adum had done that day AND maybe also due of bad connections in that area. (lucky enough no strangers slicing around at that place... yet).
But loosing own slices to another user... that's a nightmare :shock: ;)
ES187
ES187

Postby eelco » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:41 pm

I am sure that the map showed the borders alright for at least two days. I cannot explain that with the possible hickup on Friday...
Slicer #153
eelco

Postby adum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm

you are correct, there is an extremely serious data corruption problem going on right now.

i have been working on it feverishly, and i think it's due to a tricky race condition due to the new data storage system.

the good news is i have logs of all slices ever made, and can fix the damage. the bad news is that where there's been overlap, someone is going to lose what they did on the map! but not lose points at least.
adum
Site Admin

Postby TheBeun » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:50 pm

I have the same experience. Lines were suddenly broken and even this afternoon. I'm having problems with the lines and even with maintaining my slices.
On My Iphone 3GS it says 550.000, but when I leave the apllication and come back. I'm back again to my old status of today 532.000.
Slicer #135
TheBeun

Postby adum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:36 pm

okay, i think i've restored most things. please take a look and see how the map looks now for you.
adum
Site Admin

Postby TheBeun » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm afraid I've still lost terrain after 17:00 CET.
I'll verify tomorrow the details. :|
Slicer #135
TheBeun

Postby adum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:53 pm

i think i've managed to restore 95% of lost terrain. sorry about the other 5% (you get to keep the points tho). please let me know if any more things get lost.
adum
Site Admin

Postby ES187 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Indeed, after 17:00 CET I had the first problem occured too. But after resetting the iPhone, everything went fine again until between 20:00 - 21:30. Again I tried to first close the app and restart (sometimes that helps), then by shutting down the iPhone and restart. Doing the round again, lines still got gaps, even if they were full at first. (well in fact the same problem as last friday).

Now only a small piece is missing, not that big problem, as it is missing at the right side (close to my homeland).

But it raises a question anyway: does the iPhone do local storage of data and if yes, could it be that this can cause an overflow of some kind? (buffer, cache, datastorage). It is strange that these "gap in the lines" problem starts after using the app a while...

Also, as it has been said, that one can slice without internet connection, is there a limit of amount which will be saved on the iPhone?
ES187
ES187

Postby adum » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:12 am

thanks for the report.

i haven't seen the lines with gaps issue yet -- i'll be on the lookout for that.

there's currently no limit to the data stored on the iphone, but it only caches your trail, basically. if people request i will add a way to flush that out.
adum
Site Admin

Next

Return to Earthslicer